Communicating with others is described in Personal communication (People 3). The Personal communication (People 3) competence element enables the individual to communicate efficiently and effectively in a variety of situations, to different audiences and across different cultures.
- Provide clear and structured information to others and verify their understanding
- Facilitate and promote open communication
- Choose communication styles and channels to meet the needs of the audience, situation and management level
- Communicate effectively with virtual teams
- Employ humour and sense of perspective when appropriate
- Structure the information to the needs of the situation.
- Use story-telling where this is applicable.
- Use clear language.
- Give lectures and presentations.
- Coach and teach people.
- Lead and facilitate meetings.
- Emphasize your message with images, body language and intonation.
- Work on creating an open and respectful atmosphere.
- Listen actively by showing that you understand the other person.
- Let others finish what they are saying.
- Be open to, and show interest in, new ideas.
- Check that people understand what you are saying.
- Make clear how someone can introduce a new idea.
- Make clear how you handle an idea.
Lesson 3 : Choose communication styles and channels to meet the
needs of the audience, situation and management level
- Choose the right communication channels and style.
- Use the chosen style.
- Keep an eye on the communication.
- Change style and channel when necessary.
- Use communication technology.
- Define clear communication processes and maintain these.
- Encourage a sense of belonging in the group.