Culture and values 8hours
The Culture and values (Perspective 5) of an organisation (or society) are by definition for the most part informal and implicit. Of course, an organisation may try to influence the informal culture by formal and explicit mission statements and corporate values. Yet the majority of cultural values remain implicit and informal, although they influence all other perspective elements – admissible strategies, rules and regulations, etc. Understanding the mores, customs, conventions and practices of an organisation or society is therefore an essential requisite for the success of any project, programme or portfolio.
The Culture and values (perspective 5) competence element enable the individual to recognise and integrate the influence of internal and external cultural aspects on the project/programme/portfolio approach, objectives, processes, sustainability of the outcomes, and agreed outcomes.
- Assess the implication of culture and values of the relevant context
- Align the project, programme or portfolio with the formal culture and corporate values of the coordinating organisations
- Assess the implications of informal culture and values of the coordinating organisations
- Understand the cultural values and standards of the dominant culture.
- Understand to what extent this has an impact on the initiative.
- Act in accordance with this without harming your own values.
- Study the mission.
- Study the quality policy.
- Respect the formal values and standards.
- Translate these into values and standards for the team.
Lesson 3 : Assess the informal culture and values of the organisation
and their implications for the project
- Understand the informal culture.
- Accept the consequences of this culture.
- Stay in line with the informal values and standards.
Chinwi Mgbere is the President of Project Managers Development Association of Nigeria (PMDAN), Member Association of the International Project Management Association (IPMA), Certified Projects Director (IPMA Level A), National First Assessor of the IPMA 4 Level Certification System for the PMDAN Certification Body. He has taught various disciplines at Nazarbayev University School of Engineering
Chinwi Mgbere has more than 24 years of experience including extensive international experience in managing projects, portfolios of projects and programs.
Ready to get started?
Get in touch, or create an account