Projects, programmes and portfolios are dependent on the input of people, material and money. These input constraints include money, Finance (Practice 7) and (human and other) Resources (Practice 8). Often, acquiring resources requires Procurement (Practice 9).
The Resources (Practice 8) competence element enable the individual to ensure that the resources required are available and assigned as needed in order to meet the objectives of the project/programme/portfolio.
- Develop strategic resource plan to deliver the project/programme/portfolio
- Define the quality and quantity of resources required
- Identify the potential sources of resources and negotiate their availability
- Allocate and distribute resources according to defined need
- Evaluate resource usage
- Estimate the necessary resource needs.
- Record the resource requirements in a baseline.
- Analyze the resource capacity of the organizations involved.
- Coordinate the relationship with existing processes.
- Describe the required resources.
- Produce a resource schedule.
- Record the quality and quantity of the resources.
- Identify internal and external resources.
- Make contact with the internal or external resource suppliers.
- Negotiate on the availability.
- Make the acquaintance of the potential team members.
- Link the resources with the organizational structure.
- Produce a schedule per resource.
- Instruct team members.
- Negotiate on resource conflicts.
- Use a systematic approach to evaluating people.
- Look for opportunities to develop their competences.
- Address a shortage of skills to their manager.
Chinwi Mgbere is the President of Project Managers Development Association of Nigeria (PMDAN), Member Association of the International Project Management Association (IPMA), Certified Projects Director (IPMA Level A), National First Assessor of the IPMA 4 Level Certification System for the PMDAN Certification Body. He has taught various disciplines at Nazarbayev University School of Engineering
Chinwi Mgbere has more than 24 years of experience including extensive international experience in managing projects, portfolios of projects and programs.
Ready to get started?
Get in touch, or create an account