Teamwork (People 6) is the first specific aspects of leadership. The Teamwork (People 6) competence element enable the individual to select the right team members, promote a team orientation, and effectively manage a team.
- Select and build the team
- Promote cooperation and networking between team members
- Support, facilitate and review the development of the team and its members
- Empower teams by delegating tasks and responsibilities
- Recognise errors to facilitate learning from mistakes
- Select on the basis of individual competence.
- Clarify the objectives and develop a common vision.
- Develop objectives for the team.
- Negotiate about common standards for the team.
- Motivate individuals and make them conscious of the team.
- Create the opportunity to enter into discussion.
- Ask for contributions to improve performance.
- Share success with the team.
- Encourage people to cooperate both internally and externally.
- Take action when something disrupts the mutual cooperation.
- Use cooperation tools.
- Encourage continuous learning and the sharing of knowledge.
- Involve people in the continuous learning process (on-the-job).
- Provide opportunities to attend seminars and workshops (off-the-job).
- Organize the sharing of experience lessons on the project/programme.
- Give team members time for personal development.
- Delegate tasks whenever possible.
- Hand over the associated responsibility.
- Be clear about your expectations and performance criteria.
- Provide a reporting structure at team level.
- Ensure feedback takes place at both team and individual level.
- Try to reduce the negative effects of mistakes.
- Accept the fact that people make mistakes.
- Be lenient with respect to mistakes.
- Analyze and discuss mistakes made.
- Help the team members to learn from their mistakes.
Chinwi Mgbere is the President of Project Managers Development Association of Nigeria (PMDAN), Member Association of the International Project Management Association (IPMA), Certified Projects Director (IPMA Level A), National First Assessor of the IPMA 4 Level Certification System for the PMDAN Certification Body. He has taught various disciplines at Nazarbayev University School of Engineering
Chinwi Mgbere has more than 24 years of experience including extensive international experience in managing projects, portfolios of projects and programs.
Ready to get started?
Get in touch, or create an account