Projects, programmes and portfolios increasingly rely on Leadership (People 5). The Leadership (People 5) competence element enable the individual to lead, provide direction and motivate others, in order to enhance individual and team performance.
- Initiate actions and proactively offer help and advice
- Take ownership and show commitment
- Provide direction, coaching and mentoring to guide and improve the work of individuals and teams
- Exert appropriate power and influence over others to achieve the goals
- Make, enforce and review decisions
- Plan to take action.
- Make every effort to achieve a desired result.
- Offer your help or advice when (un)wanted.
- Think and act in a way that is forward-looking.
- Find a balance between opportunities and threats.
- Carry responsibility for your attitude, behavior and words.
- Talk positively about the project/programme.
- Make people enthusiastic about the project/programme.
- Develop measurement criteria and performance indicators.
- Search continuously for improvement.
- Constantly focus on, and guide people towards, the learning process.
Lesson 3 : Provide direction, coaching and mentoring to guide and improve the work of individuals and teams
- Provide direction to teams and individuals.
- Coach people to make them more skilled.
- Use your vision as the leading principle.
- Bring personal goals into line with the project/programme.
- Show the way to achieving these.
- Use different ways of exerting power.
- Demonstrate your exertion of power in a timely manner.
- Ensure people view you as a leader.
- Accept uncertainty.
- Invite discussion on a decision to be taken.
- Explain the decisions made.
- Influence the decisions that parties involved have to take.
- Communicate clearly and transparently about decisions.
- Review a decision when the facts change.
- Reflect to improve the decision making.